Aston Hall Hospital
Aston Hall Mental Hospital sits in the scenic village of Aston-On-Trent in Derby, the hospital dates back to the 1930s and stretches over 3.2 acres. The hospital was purchased by the Nottingham Corporation in 1924 as part of the old Aston Hall estate, since the hospitals conception it has always dealt with patients suffering from mental health problems and learning disabilities. Each of the houses could house up to 50 patients but in later years this capacity dropped as patients where transferred to other hospitals in the area.
Aston Hall boasted a one of a kind leisure centre within its grounds and was the only hospital in South Derbyshire to house a hydrotherapy pool.
In 1998 it was announced that the hospital would close amid fierce opposition from local residents who it to remain open and to continue caring for its then 58 resident patients. The village as locals called it finally closed its doors in 2004.