William Stones started brewing at premises in Acorn Street, where this brewery took up all the western side of the street, except for the Shalesmoor corner where the Red Lion was situated. Some time after 1860 he formed a partnership with a Mr. Watts, and moved about half a mile down the road, taking over the Neepsend Brewery of Shepherd, Green and Hatfield. This became "Cannon Brewery".
In the early 1940s Stones produced a new, light coloured bitter beer, It was simply named "Stones Bitter".
The Cannon Brewery and its tied estate of some 310+ pubs etc, which stretched throughout South Yorkshire and surrounding counties, was bought by Bass Charrington in 1968. Brewing continued and by then "Stones Bitter" was also brewed at the Tower Brewery in Tadcaster. The Sheffield brewery continued until 1999 when it closed. The name lives on and the beer is brewed by Coors Brewers Ltd, the successors to Bass, at their Burton-on-Trent brewery.