GE Thorn Lighting
The Melton Road factory opened in 1946 mass producing light bulbs. At the time being owned by British Thomson-Houston. It later became part of AEI Group and eventually Thorn until GE bought the lamp division in 1991.
The factory was once one of Leicester's largest employing around 300 skilled workers. It closed in 2007 and was a massive blow to the local community with the loss if 270 skilled jobs. The site is currently up for sale.